Wednesday 29 September 2010

Whether 'tis nobler for the mind to suffer....



Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche 


The definition of insanity is widely up for debate; people call statistically anomalous people insane, people who are mentally ill are often the normal definition of insanity, but I’ve heard poems and people say love is insanity.

My quote above shows Nietzsche’s views, that insanity is rare in people, very few people are actually declared clinically insane. But as a nation or group of people our choices can be insane, people voting in Big Brother in “1984” by George Orwell, spring to mind. Who would ever think a political party that said “ignorance is power” would ever in any parallel universe be a good idea. But then again people voted in Hitler, I’m sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

But seriously, it’s easy to sit here and say I make wise choices that will not lead to a madman in power, but have you ever sat there being bombed? Hell, I can’t make a decision if someone’s speaking to me at the same time, let alone a war happening.

This led me to the conclusion that no one can classify anyone as insane, unless you have been in the exact same state of mind or position and done something better.  




Ellen xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment